We live in a time of unprecedented access to high reward, high-dopamine stimuli and it’s taking a toll on our minds and bodies. Today, Dr. Anna Lembke, Chief of the Stanford Addiction Medicine Dual Diagnosis Clinic at Stanford University School of Medicine and author of Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence is here to help us maintain a healthy sense of pleasure seeking in life.
This episode has something for everyone: an overview of dopamine, an explanation of the pleasure pain-balance, an exploration of the impact of culture and social institutions on human behavior, and hormetic activities that naturally boost dopamine levels.
- How dopamine is involved in the pleasure-pain balance
- The role that serotonin plays in homeostasis
- Why a world of indulgence has led to dopamine deficits
- How flow states and human connections stimulate dopamine production
- Evaluating the risk-reward of psychedelics and dopamine mechanisms
- Leveraging hormetic activities to boost dopamine levels
The smartphone is the modern-day hypodermic needle, delivering digital dopamine 24/7 for a wired generation. - Anna Lembke, MD.
Listen in now and learn how to maintain balanced dopamine levels in a world of pleasure. Tune in now.